Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pearl Snaps and Cowboy Hats


The 79th Annual Kansas Junior Livestock Show is taking place this weekend at the Kansas Coliseum. When I was in 4-H this was always one of my favorite livestock shows in the state. It is like the State Fair in a sense that you have all of the species at one show, but much more relaxed and with cooler weather. I still enjoy going to the KJLS every year to watch kids show pigs they bought from my family and hang out with friends. This past May my dad’s sisters were going through my grandparents’ old photos and gave us a bunch of old pictures of my dad when he was a kid, some of my brother, sister and I with our cousins when we were little and a lot of other random pictures. My favorite picture in the whole pile was this one of my dad from 1965 with his Hereford steer at the KJLS. I find it so interesting how much times have changed since he was a kid. For example, steers back then had really short legs and I just think that is the silliest looking thing ever. We use shavings now instead of straw, he isn’t using a show stick (did he use one at all? I should ask him.), and then there’s his outfit. It is very vintage and western. I think it’s cool though. I’d probably wear it today. It also makes me think about what it was like at livestock shows back then. Probably more simple and relaxed, but still competitive I’m sure.

Another reason this picture caught my attention so much is that I had no idea he used to show at the KJLS, too! I don’t remember ever seeing pictures of my dad showing cattle or pigs before we found these photos and he rarely ever talks about things he did back then. The only stories I’ve ever really heard are short versions about all the mischievous things he used to do at the State Fair. Back when the kids all slept in the barn at night with the animals and from the minimal stories I’ve heard, it doesn’t sound like much sleeping was going on. Sometimes I think it would be fun to just sit down and go through old pictures and listen to the stories behind them and see what my dad and other family members used to look like. I don’t really have a whole lot to say other than that. I mostly just wanted to share this cool picture and why I think it is so cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment