Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pay No Attention to That Dog Behind the Curtain!


I think most of you have met my dog, Mary, at least once before. She’s a 24-pound, tri-colored, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a product of the Crow Ranch in Holt, MO. Mary has many aliases including Wiggles, Waddles, Wig, Wiggy, Dart, Snuggles, Speedy and my brother-in-law calls her Smelly, but she does not answer to that. Mary is a very interesting little dog. I honestly think that she believes she is a human sometimes, except that she does have a few canine traits in her. 1) She absolutely loves walks and will sniff and pee on something every five feet during them. 2) She despises baths and even hides under the kitchen table when I get “her towel” out. 3) She enjoys eating pig poop on the farm. 4) She has a natural hatred toward cats, bunnies and squirrels. In fact, she will sit and stare out of the sliding glass door all day long, just looking into the back yard, protecting her territory from the neighborhood menaces.
Since I have floor length curtains hanging over the door, Mary must sneak behind them in order to see out the door. Sometimes she hides herself so well that I cannot find her and eventually, after calling her name several times and wandering throughout the house searching for her, she’ll finally poke her head out from around the curtain as if to say “Mom, seriously. Can’t you see I’m busy? What do you want?” 
 Can you find her behind the curtains? She’s in there somewhere. I promise. 
There she is!
 Every time she does this it makes me think about the “man behind the curtain” scene in the Wizard of Oz. Pay no attention to that dog behind the curtain! And then I imagine her saying to the bunnies and squirrels who dare venture into her yard; “I am Mary! The great and powerful corgi! I know why you’ve come! You want to dig holes in my yard and nibble on my mom’s flowers! I have every intention of granting your wishes, but first you must prove yourself worthy by performing a very small task.” Then, the bunnies and squirrels reply, “A small task? That’s all? You name it and it’s half done!” And Mary says, “Bring me the chew stick of the pit bull next door!” The bunnies and squirrels gasp, “But we would have to kill him to get it!” Mary shouts, “Bring me the chew stick and I’ll grant your requests! Now go!”
That’s where my imagination stops. I don’t want to think about what would happen to the bunnies and squirrels who dare venture into the pit bulls’ yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment