Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Weekend on the Farm is Like a Vacation for the Mind


I don’t make it home as often as I used to anymore. It used to be that I would go home and help out on the farm or go to some sort of pig show or sale nearly every weekend. But, the past couple of years it seems that I have only made it home about once a month or every six weeks in the winter and summer months. Although, I do still make it home quite a bit in the spring and fall, because those are the busiest seasons on the farm and I can never turn my dad down when I know he needs the help. 

In some ways I think it is a good thing that I spend fewer weekends at home, and in other ways I think it might be good for me if I tried to make it home more often again. Back when I used to go home practically every nine out of 10 weekends, I used to wish I could have more weekends to myself to relax or go out and have fun. But, now that I have more weekends like that, I sometimes find myself wishing that I could spend a little more time on the farm. What I really need is to find a balance between the two. Too many weekends spent on the farm can make me feel worn out and like I don’t have time to get anything accomplished around my own house. While too many weekends spent in the city can also drive me nuts. There is just something about open space, fresh air and peacefulness that can make a person forget about their worries for the time being. I wouldn’t call it a relaxing vacation by normal standards, but it is definitely a vacation for the mind. I’ve never even taken a real vacation so I suppose I wouldn’t really know what one feels like, but I can imagine how it would feel and I also do know that even though my hands and feet may be worn out after a long weekend on the farm, my mind tends to feel much better. That is until Monday rolls around at least…

This past weekend was one of those weekends that I got to spend on the farm. My dad’s birthday was last week on February 15th, so of course I went home for that and instead of a cake, this year I made him a homemade cherry pie – his favorite – to celebrate. But I also went home for another reason... I needed to help take pictures of pigs for our online pig sale we were having this week on the 21st. Spending a whole afternoon photographing uncooperative little pigs and then an evening sorting through all of those pictures is tiring and not always enjoyable. But it pays off in the end and this sale especially went very well by the way. We are really excited to see how this set of pigs will do at the upcoming shows this spring and summer and would like to say a special thank you to all of our customers for a great sale and good luck! 

Also, remember that we’ll be having two more online sales this spring on www.showpig.com on March 15th and May 17th, as well as our 12th Annual Show Pig Sale at the farm on April 14th! Now, because I like to share pictures with each of my blog posts (and I forgot to take one of the scrumptious cherry pie before it was gone) here is one of the top selling pig from our sale this week. She sure is gorgeous.


No comments:

Post a Comment